Friday, July 8, 2011

The Seasons of Life

As I sit here this morning watching the boys play outside, digging in the dirt, climbing up the slide, hiding behind the tree they call their fort, getting along for the most part:), I can't help but feel how blessed I am. I am also thinking about how much my life will change in just a little over 8 weeks (probably more...I am typically late with the babes!)

I sit here sipping my coffee with my feet up just watching my boys go on their many adventures. They don't really need me right now..they are completly fine on there own...and enjoying their freedom too! Thats how life is right now...typically pretty easy when it comes to entertaining the boys. Yes, sometimes I do feel like a WWF referee breaking up the constant fun of wrestling and tackling that has gone a little to far and isn't fun for one of them anymore. But really I can't complain. We put the boys to bed at 8 and I pretty much don't see them till the morning, there is the occasional visit in the middle of the night that is fixed with a quick kiss, a re-tuck in and a rub on the head...and maybe a prayer or too...but they go back to sleep. With a good nights sleep this means I am able to get up at 6 to pray and shower before I see the beautiful faces of my boys. (believe me when I say I am such a better mom if I have had a cup of coffee and some prayer time before we start our day!) When we go out I don't have to bring a diaper bag and remember the million things that a newborn might possibly need. I don't have to think about the type of shirt I need to wear that will work with nursing while we are out. We can go out in the mornings without wrecking anyones nap schedule. They eat the same thing at lunch and they can feed themselves! They go down for nap at the same time..on their own and sleep. We have routine. This is the season of life that we are in right now...but it will soon change.

When a new baby enters the picture EVERYTHING changes for the time being...but it is such a short time and soon things will become routine again...probably a different routine but non the less a routine. There will be many awakenings in the middle of the night. There will be the constant nursing that a little one desires. There will be the carrying of the car seat into the grocery store. Things will change...you get the picture!

But how we look forward to this change, how exciting it is to hold a sweet, tiny baby in your arms again. One thing I have learned and I will continue to learn with every new baby is that this season goes by SO FAST! They are only little for so long and then soon they will be running with the rest of the pack. That they only sleep peacefully in your arms for a short period and they only need you in the middle of the night for a brief time. I know that with Jacob I did not treasure the newborn time I had with him like I should have. I worried about things like sleep schedules, nursing...was he doing all the things he should be doing at this point in his life. What will it be like when he crawls...when he walks. I wished for the next period of his life to come and did not really enjoy the time that was present with us at that moment. But I have learned and the time I have with a newborn is treasured and looked forward to.

So yes, in 8 weeks or so I will not be sitting here watching the boys play outside, sipping my coffee with my feet up. I will most likely be sitting here nursing and enjoying the sweet baby smell as the boys play outside...But how we look forward to Beau John Paul becoming part of this family outside the womb.


Jacob

Baker

1 comment:

ssidrys said...

So true Kari! Glad you are enjoying this season and looking forward to the next! We miss you all. xoxo, The Sidrys Fam (ps. I love how you wake up early and pray:) very inspiring!